Paper Cuts, why are they so awful?


As I often suffer from the nasty little buggers that are paper cuts I thought it worthwhile to find out why they are such a nightmare to endure. The reason is that paper cuts are like razor blade cuts, the wound is normally small and shallow, but unlike a razor blade cut where very few foreign particles are left behind, many are left with a paper cut. Paper is created by pressing wood mulch along with a number of chemicals, as the paper cuts into your skin these chemical coated fibres, as well as bacteria, are left in the wound. The wound closes quickly due to it being quite thin. These fibres and particles are left inside of the wound and these stimulate the pain receptors in the skin. As much as this knowledge consoles me when I get a paper cut (note sarcasm) I shall still remain to handle my books with far much more care than I would my razor blades...                                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment